447 militants killed in military operation in North Waziristan
The Pakistan military on Tuesday said 447 militants have been killed in a month-long offensive against foreign and local militants in the North Waziristan tribal region.
Islamabad: The Pakistan military on Tuesday said 447 militants have been killed in a month-long offensive against foreign and local militants in the North Waziristan tribal region.
The operation `Zarb-e-Azb` was launched on June 15 after a string of deadly attacks by the militants.
Major General Asim Bajwa told reporters that ground operation in Mirali own was on and six militants had been killed today in the latest gun battle.
He said the offensive will continue till dens of militants have been "completely eliminated".
"We have destroyed 88 hideouts so far and cleared 80 per cent area of the Miranshah," he said.
Bajwa said so far 26 soldiers have also been killed in the fighting and due to roadside bombings.
In Mirali a militant commander Matiullah was also killed while 11 rebels surrendered.
Bajwa said the forces have clear instructions to establish the writ of the government and clear the area of militants.
Federal Minister for State and Frontier Regions Abdul Qadir Baloch also addressed media along with Bajwa, saying the government was fully alive to the problem of displaced people and doing everything to help them.
According to the FATA Disaster Management Authority the numbers of displaced people have crossed 980,000.
Baloch said operation was launched after militants failed to respond to the peace initiative of the government.