47 per cent of Pakistani lawmakers do not pay taxes
Islamabad: Forty-seven per cent of 1,070 lawmakers elected to Pakistan`s national and provincial assemblies earlier this year did not pay income tax and 12 per cent do not even have a National Tax Number.
Members of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament who did not pay taxes belong to all the major parties, according to a media report today.
The PML-N has the lion`s share with 54 parliamentarians. Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf follows with 19 non-taxpaying Mps.
The Pakistan People`s Party has 13, the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam seven and the Muttahida Qaumi Movement five.
Parliamentarians whose tax declarations were contradicted by the Federal Board of Revenue include big names like Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Imran Khan, his party`s vice chairman Shah Mehmood Qureshi, National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq, JUI chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman, MQM parliamentary leader Farooq Sattar, The News daily reported.
Capt (retired) Muhammad Safdar, Sharif`s son-in-law, is among those who do have a National Tax Number.
Of 550 lawmakers who declared tax payments in their nomination papers, 31 per cent include top leaders whose official records show that they either exaggerated the amount or paid zero tax.
The record of 54 lawmakers was not available for checking, the report said.
Of 680 members who declared their incomes in their nomination papers, 25 per cent were identified as showing lower earnings to the Federal Board of Revenue for tax deduction.
Imran Khan figured in this list with Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan.
In a recent newspaper article, Britain`s outgoing High Commissioner Adam Thomson said foreign aid is not a long-term solution and asked Pakistan to widen its tax net to include the elite who "can afford luxury cars and foreign trips but can?t afford to pay their taxes".
"The problem starts at the top. By paying their fair share of taxes and backing tax reform, businesses, wealthy individuals and elected politicians in Pakistan can lead by example," he wrote.
According to the Federal Board of Revenue, less than 0.5 per cent of Pakistanis pay income tax. That is just 750,000 individuals out of a population of some 180 million.
Tax revenue in Pakistan, as a proportion of GDP, is around nine per cent, compared with 14 per cent for countries with similar per capita incomes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark