52 killed, around 700,000 affected in Pak floods
Karachi: Flash floods caused by heavy rains have killed at least 52 people and affected around 700,000 in Pakistan`s troubled Baluchistan province.
Floods also destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of crops, officials said Monday.
Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has announced a relief and rehabilitation package of 2,600 million rupees for the flood victims but officials say the rescue operations and rehabilitation of families could take months to complete.
Akbar Durrani, an official of the provincial disaster management authority said the monsoon rains had broken a 30-year-old record.
On September 11, the meteorological department recorded 432 millimetres of rain.
"The floods caused by rains have led to the most devastation in the Jhal Magsi, Jafferabad and Naseerabad districts of the province which have been declared calamity hit," the official said.
Durrani said the flash floods had damaged crops spread over 350,000 acres of land in 13 districts.
Baluchistan is already facing an uphill battle due to a violent insurgency by separatists while militants have been involved in targetting minority Shia Muslims.
Durrani said 22 people have died in Naseerabad alone and eight in Jafffarabad. remaining casualties were reported from other parts of the province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Congress sounds UP poll bugle; Sonia, Rahul flag off three-day bus Yatra '27 Saal UP Behaal'
- Sunny Leone in trouble after singing national anthem at Pro Kabaddi League match - Here's why
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?
- NASA's NEEMO 21 research mission begins, aquanauts splash down!