6 killed in NATO supply trucks attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: Pro-Taliban militants on Monday attacked NATO supply trucks in Pakistan`s restive tribal belt with guns and rockets, killing six persons and injuring three more, officials said.
A convoy of trucks bound for Afghanistan were attacked in an area 20 km from Landi Kotal town in Khyber Agency.
About 10 militants, who were riding motorcycles, fired several rockets at the trucks and then opened fire with automatic weapons. Six persons, including drivers and their assistants, were killed.
The injured persons were taken to a nearby hospital and officials described their condition as serious. Three trucks were destroyed.
The convoy was transporting vehicles for NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Security forces engaged the militants and the two sides exchanged fire for about half an hour.
The militants later escaped, officials said.
The movement of vehicles at the Pakistan-Afghanistan border was suspended after the attack.
The Khasadar Force launched a search operation.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Several militant groups, including the Pakistani Taliban, are active in the region.
A key route used to transport supplies to US and foreign forces in Afghanistan passes through Khyber Agency.
The supplies are driven to the border from the port city of Karachi.
In the past few years, the Taliban have destroyed hundreds of container trucks and oil tankers in attacks in northwest Pakistan.
Pakistan shut supply routes to Afghanistan from November 2011 to July 2012 after a US air strike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
Pakistan and the US have signed a deal allowing NATO convoys to travel into Afghanistan until the end of 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now