6 militants killed, five injured in South Waziristan
Islamabad: Six militants were killed and
four injured in air strikes by Pakistani jets in the Taliban
stronghold of South Waziristan on Tuesday while two soldiers were
injured in a raid by rebels in the tribal belt bordering
The warplanes struck militant hideouts at several
places in South Waziristan Agency, including Makeen, one of
the main bases of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. TV news
channels quoted sources as saying that six militants were
killed and four injured in the bombardment.
In North Waziristan Agency, two soldiers were injured
when militants attacked a check post with mortars and rockets.
The Pakistan Army is reportedly gearing up for a major
offensive in South Waziristan against Taliban militants behind
a wave of deadly suicide bombings, including yesterday’s
attack on the office of the UN food agency that killed five
Chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas today
said an operation against the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan in the
tribal areas had become "inevitable".
"According to our analysis, the root of the terror is
in South Waziristan where this group is present. It is a must
to root out this terror and for this purpose an operation in
this area is inevitable," he said.
"If we do not launch this operation then terrorism
will become strong and spread to other areas," Abbas said to news channel.
The security forces also continued their search and
clearance operations in the Swat valley and other parts of
Malakand division, where 10 suspected militants were
apprehended at Taghan and Maira areas.
Eight militants surrendered to security forces at
Barshaur, Biha and Chuprial while outlawed
Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariah Muhammadi commander Badshah Zeb alias
Gorkai Mullah surrendered to troops in Dir area, also part of
Meanwhile, air force chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar
Suleman said his force will work in synchronization with the
army to ensure the success of operations against militants.
Addressing an event at Air Headquarters attended by top
officers, Suleman appreciated efforts made by field commanders
for successful operations in Swat and the tribal belt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know