6 militants killed, five injured in South Waziristan
Islamabad: Six militants were killed and
four injured in air strikes by Pakistani jets in the Taliban
stronghold of South Waziristan on Tuesday while two soldiers were
injured in a raid by rebels in the tribal belt bordering
The warplanes struck militant hideouts at several
places in South Waziristan Agency, including Makeen, one of
the main bases of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. TV news
channels quoted sources as saying that six militants were
killed and four injured in the bombardment.
In North Waziristan Agency, two soldiers were injured
when militants attacked a check post with mortars and rockets.
The Pakistan Army is reportedly gearing up for a major
offensive in South Waziristan against Taliban militants behind
a wave of deadly suicide bombings, including yesterday’s
attack on the office of the UN food agency that killed five
Chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas today
said an operation against the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan in the
tribal areas had become "inevitable".
"According to our analysis, the root of the terror is
in South Waziristan where this group is present. It is a must
to root out this terror and for this purpose an operation in
this area is inevitable," he said.
"If we do not launch this operation then terrorism
will become strong and spread to other areas," Abbas said to news channel.
The security forces also continued their search and
clearance operations in the Swat valley and other parts of
Malakand division, where 10 suspected militants were
apprehended at Taghan and Maira areas.
Eight militants surrendered to security forces at
Barshaur, Biha and Chuprial while outlawed
Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariah Muhammadi commander Badshah Zeb alias
Gorkai Mullah surrendered to troops in Dir area, also part of
Meanwhile, air force chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar
Suleman said his force will work in synchronization with the
army to ensure the success of operations against militants.
Addressing an event at Air Headquarters attended by top
officers, Suleman appreciated efforts made by field commanders
for successful operations in Swat and the tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez