6 militants killed, five injured in South Waziristan
Islamabad: Six militants were killed and
four injured in air strikes by Pakistani jets in the Taliban
stronghold of South Waziristan on Tuesday while two soldiers were
injured in a raid by rebels in the tribal belt bordering
The warplanes struck militant hideouts at several
places in South Waziristan Agency, including Makeen, one of
the main bases of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. TV news
channels quoted sources as saying that six militants were
killed and four injured in the bombardment.
In North Waziristan Agency, two soldiers were injured
when militants attacked a check post with mortars and rockets.
The Pakistan Army is reportedly gearing up for a major
offensive in South Waziristan against Taliban militants behind
a wave of deadly suicide bombings, including yesterday’s
attack on the office of the UN food agency that killed five
Chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas today
said an operation against the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan in the
tribal areas had become "inevitable".
"According to our analysis, the root of the terror is
in South Waziristan where this group is present. It is a must
to root out this terror and for this purpose an operation in
this area is inevitable," he said.
"If we do not launch this operation then terrorism
will become strong and spread to other areas," Abbas said to news channel.
The security forces also continued their search and
clearance operations in the Swat valley and other parts of
Malakand division, where 10 suspected militants were
apprehended at Taghan and Maira areas.
Eight militants surrendered to security forces at
Barshaur, Biha and Chuprial while outlawed
Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariah Muhammadi commander Badshah Zeb alias
Gorkai Mullah surrendered to troops in Dir area, also part of
Meanwhile, air force chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar
Suleman said his force will work in synchronization with the
army to ensure the success of operations against militants.
Addressing an event at Air Headquarters attended by top
officers, Suleman appreciated efforts made by field commanders
for successful operations in Swat and the tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das