60 Pak cops removed from duties for being obese
Lahore: Sixty policemen, including six women constables, were removed from operational duties in Pakistan`s Punjab province for failing to comply with a directive to shed weight, officials said Wednesday.
Inspector General of Police Haji Habib-ur-Rehman removed the 60 personnel from "important operational duties" for failing to bring down their waistline to 38 inches or less.
Rehman had set June 30 as the deadline for personnel of 100 model police stations in Punjab to reduce their weight.
"After receiving reports from police chiefs of 36 districts of Punjab, the IGP has removed 54 policemen and six lady constables from VIP, VVIP and other operational duties as they failed to reduce their weight and bring down their waistline to at least 38 inches," police spokesperson Nabila Ghazanfar said.
District police chiefs will conduct a drive later this month to detect overweight personnel, she said.
Punjab, a province of 90 million people, has some 180,000 police personnel to maintain law and order.
Since Rehman cautioned his force last month, overweight police personnel had started jogging, joined gyms and controlled their diet to meet their boss` criteria.
"I had a 42-inch waistline when the IGP ordered us to reduce our bellies about three weeks ago. Since then, I have been on a diet and go jogging in the morning and evening. Finally I managed to reduce my waistline to 38 inches," said Constable Navid Alam, who is posted in Lahore.
Rehman has said he is serious about addressing the issue of obesity as smart police personnel are needed to deal with criminals and terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report