60 Pak cops removed from duties for being obese
Lahore: Sixty policemen, including six women constables, were removed from operational duties in Pakistan`s Punjab province for failing to comply with a directive to shed weight, officials said Wednesday.
Inspector General of Police Haji Habib-ur-Rehman removed the 60 personnel from "important operational duties" for failing to bring down their waistline to 38 inches or less.
Rehman had set June 30 as the deadline for personnel of 100 model police stations in Punjab to reduce their weight.
"After receiving reports from police chiefs of 36 districts of Punjab, the IGP has removed 54 policemen and six lady constables from VIP, VVIP and other operational duties as they failed to reduce their weight and bring down their waistline to at least 38 inches," police spokesperson Nabila Ghazanfar said.
District police chiefs will conduct a drive later this month to detect overweight personnel, she said.
Punjab, a province of 90 million people, has some 180,000 police personnel to maintain law and order.
Since Rehman cautioned his force last month, overweight police personnel had started jogging, joined gyms and controlled their diet to meet their boss` criteria.
"I had a 42-inch waistline when the IGP ordered us to reduce our bellies about three weeks ago. Since then, I have been on a diet and go jogging in the morning and evening. Finally I managed to reduce my waistline to 38 inches," said Constable Navid Alam, who is posted in Lahore.
Rehman has said he is serious about addressing the issue of obesity as smart police personnel are needed to deal with criminals and terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets