640 Pakistanis died in 37 suicide attacks this year
Islamabad: At least 640 people were killed and 1,800 hurt in 37 suicide bombings across Pakistan this year, said a government report.
The report compiled by the Counter-Terrorism Wing of the Federal Investigation Agency states that the suicide attackers targeted security forces, public property, mosques and shrines, foreign diplomats, educational institutions, political leaders, and government offices.
Dawn quoted official sources as saying that 25 of the 37 suicide strikes took place in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, seven in Punjab, two each in Pakistan-administered Kashmir and Balochistan and one in Sindh. Vehicles packed with explosives were used in 10 of the attacks.
Most of the victims were civilians.
The report pointed out that though the number of suicide bombings had gone down, terror groups still had the capability to carry out such strikes against various targets.
The police was the major target of terrorists and was attacked at 10 places. At least 87 Frontier Corps personnel and 81 police personnel were killed and 268 policemen were injured.
In 2010, the attacks began in January itself and the latest attack on police was carried out on the Salman Shaheed Police Lines in Swabi district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Nov 1.
Suicide bombers struck across the country, including six in Lahore, four in Swat, three in Peshawar, two each in Quetta, Bannu, Mardan, Lakki Marwat, Upper Dir, Lower Dir, Tank and Azad Kashmir. Suicide bombings also took place in Karachi, Swabi, Nowshera, Karak, Mansehra, Kohat, Hangu and Sargodha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi