7 policemen killed in militants` attack in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Seven policemen were killed and four others, including a senior officer, injured when dozens of militants ambushed their vehicles on the outskirts of Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan, officials said on Saturday.
The police convoy was attacked at Mattani area late last night. Six policemen were killed instantly while one more died in hospital today, officials said.
Kohat district police chief Dilawar Bangash was among the injured. Bangash was driving from Peshawar to Kohat when his convoy was ambushed on the Indus Highway. The militants fired several rockets at the convoy and destroyed one vehicle.
An injured driver drove Bangash to Kohat and both of them were admitted to a military hospital, officials said.
Additional police forces were sent to the area after the attack. They exchanged fire with the militants for some time.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Jamiat Ulema-e-Pakistan leader Aqeel Anjum narowly escapes assassination attempt
- China's finance minister sees ''Brexit'' heightening uncertainty for markets
- Is Aamir Khan scared of 'Sultan'? Here's what Salman Khan has to say
- Nissan creates GT-R Drone to match the updated 2017 GT-R
- Neighbouring country trying to destabilise India: Rajnath