7 policemen killed in militants` attack in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Seven policemen were killed and four others, including a senior officer, injured when dozens of militants ambushed their vehicles on the outskirts of Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan, officials said on Saturday.
The police convoy was attacked at Mattani area late last night. Six policemen were killed instantly while one more died in hospital today, officials said.
Kohat district police chief Dilawar Bangash was among the injured. Bangash was driving from Peshawar to Kohat when his convoy was ambushed on the Indus Highway. The militants fired several rockets at the convoy and destroyed one vehicle.
An injured driver drove Bangash to Kohat and both of them were admitted to a military hospital, officials said.
Additional police forces were sent to the area after the attack. They exchanged fire with the militants for some time.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi