70 Sri Lankan boat people rescued by Navy
Colombo: Seventy Sri Lankans attempting to illegally migrate to Australia were rescued by the intervention of the Navy on Wednesday, an official said.
The people attempting to illegally migrate were rescued off a fishing vessel by merchant ships in international waters after the Sri Lankan navy sent out messages, Xinhua quoted navy spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya as saying.
"We believe that the fishing vessel left the southern seaport of Galle earlier this week. Since it had already crossed over into international waters it was difficult for us to retrieve it. Therefore we sent out messages to merchant ships plying the route to rescue the people," he said.
Once the Sri Lankans were picked up, they were brought to the maritime boundary line that separates international and Sri Lankan waters where they were handed over to the navy.
Warnakulasuriya said investigations into the people smugglers involved in the incident were continuing.
Despite the end of a three decade war in 2009, the number of asylum seekers from Sri Lanka has increased, pushing the Australian government to take tough measures to prevent them from reaching that country.
Nearly 1,300 Sri Lankans have been returned by the Australian government after they attempted to illegally migrant via boat.
At least another 1,500 have been arrested by the navy while attempting to leave Sri Lanka by boat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price