70,000 Pakistanis sing national anthem to create new record
Lahore: A gathering of 70,000 Pakistanis set a world record by singing the country`s national anthem together at the National Hockey Stadium on Saturday.
The organisers of the event said that an official of the Guinness Book of World Records was present and watched the gathering, including athletes and students, as it sang the anthem this evening.
Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, whose government played a key role in helping organise the event, joined the crowd.
So did several artists including singer and actor Ali Zafar.
The event was the main feature of the Punjab Youth Festival 2012 in which students and athletes from institutions from across Punjab participated.
Several rehearsals were conducted before the record- breaking attempt.
"I have seen very few events like this one in the city of Lahore. Events such as this prove the resilience of the Pakistani people," Sharif said.
The coordinator to the Youth Festival, Rana Mashhud, told reporters that the world record was earlier held by a crowd of 21,000 people.
"Today we have registered a new record with some 70,000 people, including athletes and students, taking part in singing the anthem," he said.
The arrangements made for the event had met the specifications laid down by the Guinness Book of World Records, Mashhud said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi