70,000 quacks endangering people`s lives in Pakistan
Islamabad: As many as 70,000 fake doctors
in Pakistan are endangering the lives of millions across the
country, a latest report has said.
"Some 70,000 quacks with bogus medical degrees are
endangering lives across the country. While all those found
guilty ought to be prosecuted and punished, more comprehensive
preventative measures are also in order," a report in the Dawn
An anti-corruption cell recently cracked down on
Rawalpindi District Headquarters Hospital for allegedly hiring
six fake doctors.
Three of the six doctors were brothers and one of them
was hired as a neurosurgeon.
These `doctors` are either not registered with the
Pakistan Medical and Dental Council or hold phoney
registration certificates, the report said.
A noted doctor from Faisalabad, Aslam Akhtar, recently
presented a paper at the International Conference on AIDS
where he said quackery and malpractices in healthcare are
common in Pakistan and that a majority of people are treated
Akhtar also spoke about 20 quacks in Faisalabad who
were running clinics and found that 99 per cent of them were
not even matriculates, it said, adding that 76 per cent of
them did not follow proper medical guidelines and were using
disposable syringes for more than one patient.
Taking a strong stand on this, the federal health
ministry has said it will take strict action against the
flourishing quackery system in the country.
Health Minister Mir Aijaz Hussain Jakhrani said his
ministry is devising a law to curb this malpractice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Banks not fully understanding problems of SMEs: Commerce and Industry Minister
- West Indies vs India: 2nd T20I — As it happened...
- Shocking! China man jumps underneath moving truck in dramatic video – Watch what happens next
- Islam doesn't allow women to visit graves, Haji Ali Dargah is one of them: Chairman
- Davis Cup: India to host Spain under flood-lights