73 killed in tribal belt of northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 73 people, mostly militants, were killed on Friday in separate incidents of violence, including a suicide attack outside a mosque and a fierce clash between security forces and terrorists, in the restive tribal belt of northwest Pakistan.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a mosque in the volatile Khyber tribal region this afternoon, killing 23 militants of the banned Lashkar-e-Islam group and injuring over 20 others, officials of the local political administration told the media.
The attacker detonated his explosive vest near the gate of the mosque as the Lashkar-e-Islam militants were leaving after Friday prayers.
The incident occurred in Nakai area of Tirah Valley, located near the border with Afghanistan.
The area is controlled by the Lashkar-e-Islam, which is led by a warlord named Mangal Bagh Afridi.
Another militant faction led by Tariq Afridi claimed responsibility for the attack.
Officials said they feared the death toll may rise as some of the injured were in serious condition.
The explosion, which damaged the mosque and nearby structures, occurred in the same area, where an overnight clash left 10 security personnel and 23 militants dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note