78 former LTTE fighters released to mark Thai Pongal
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities have released 78 rehabilitated former LTTE cadres today to mark Thai Pongal, the widely celebrated Tamil Hindu harvest festival.
Officials said 48 females and 30 males have been handed over to their families in Vavuniya, after they had undergone rehabilitation.
Earlier in the month, rehabilitation officials said that nearly a half of former combatants who successfully completed the comprehensive rehabilitation process left the detention centres.
At lest 5,586 former LTTE carders out of 11,696 left rehabilitation centres after receiving vocational training during the rehabilitation process,media reported early this month quoting commissioner general of rehabilitation Brigadier Sudantha Ranasinghe.
There were 24 rehabilitation centers at the beginning of the programme and only 9 are remaining now, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah