9 killed as school bus collides with Pak train
Islamabad: Nine persons, including eight
children, were killed and 15 others injured when a school van
collided with a train at an unmanned crossing in Pakistan`s Punjab province today.
The accident occurred at a railway crossing at
Mosavirk in Mian Channu at 8.15 am due to thick fog, police
The driver of the van was among the dead. Many of the
injured are in a critical condition, officials said.
There were about 30 children in the van when it
collided with the Rawalpindi-bound Jaffar Express due to poor
Police said the accident occurred due to the van
Aslam Bodla, a parliamentarian from Mian Channu, said
there are at least three railway crossings without any gate in
He said he had recommended to the government to put up
gates at these railway crossings but no action was taken.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf
Raza Gilani expressed grief and concern over the accident.
Gilani directed authorities to inquire into the
incident and to submit a report to him at the earliest. He
also directed Pakistan Railways to ensure proper vigilance at
unmanned crossings, particularly when there is fog, to ensure
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter