9 killed as school bus collides with Pak train
Islamabad: Nine persons, including eight
children, were killed and 15 others injured when a school van
collided with a train at an unmanned crossing in Pakistan`s Punjab province today.
The accident occurred at a railway crossing at
Mosavirk in Mian Channu at 8.15 am due to thick fog, police
The driver of the van was among the dead. Many of the
injured are in a critical condition, officials said.
There were about 30 children in the van when it
collided with the Rawalpindi-bound Jaffar Express due to poor
Police said the accident occurred due to the van
Aslam Bodla, a parliamentarian from Mian Channu, said
there are at least three railway crossings without any gate in
He said he had recommended to the government to put up
gates at these railway crossings but no action was taken.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf
Raza Gilani expressed grief and concern over the accident.
Gilani directed authorities to inquire into the
incident and to submit a report to him at the earliest. He
also directed Pakistan Railways to ensure proper vigilance at
unmanned crossings, particularly when there is fog, to ensure
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today