9 killed in clashes in Pakistan`s restive northwest
Islamabad: A Pakistani soldier and eight militants were killed in fresh clashes as troops conducted search and clearance operations in the lawless Waziristan tribal region, the military said on Monday.
Taliban militants attacked a check post in the Razmak sector of Waziristan, killing a soldier and injuring three more, the military said.
Eight militants were killed during a skirmish that erupted while security forces were clearing the area around Katori Sar in Shakai sector of Waziristan.
Security forces conducted search and clearance operations at several places in the same sector and seized arms and ammunition.
In the Jandola sector of Waziristan, security forces apprehended two suspected militants during a search and clearance operation at Shiekh Yousaf Adda.
Security forces also conducted search and clearance operations at several places in the northwestern Swat valley and captured six suspected militants.
Four Taliban fighters also surrendered to authorities in the region, the military said.
The military says more than 600 militants and over 60 soldiers have died in fighting in Waziristan since a campaign was launched there against the Taliban in October.
Troops have secured most Taliban strongholds in the region but top militant leaders continue to be at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days