9 killed in clashes in Pakistan`s restive northwest
Islamabad: A Pakistani soldier and eight militants were killed in fresh clashes as troops conducted search and clearance operations in the lawless Waziristan tribal region, the military said on Monday.
Taliban militants attacked a check post in the Razmak sector of Waziristan, killing a soldier and injuring three more, the military said.
Eight militants were killed during a skirmish that erupted while security forces were clearing the area around Katori Sar in Shakai sector of Waziristan.
Security forces conducted search and clearance operations at several places in the same sector and seized arms and ammunition.
In the Jandola sector of Waziristan, security forces apprehended two suspected militants during a search and clearance operation at Shiekh Yousaf Adda.
Security forces also conducted search and clearance operations at several places in the northwestern Swat valley and captured six suspected militants.
Four Taliban fighters also surrendered to authorities in the region, the military said.
The military says more than 600 militants and over 60 soldiers have died in fighting in Waziristan since a campaign was launched there against the Taliban in October.
Troops have secured most Taliban strongholds in the region but top militant leaders continue to be at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets