90 killed in Karachi in a week of violence
Karachi: At least 90 people, including members of the minority Shia community, have been killed in various incidents of target killings in Pakistan`s commercial city of Karachi in the past week, as five more lives were lost Monday.
Five more people were killed today taking the death toll in the target killings and sectarian violence in the city to 90.
A doctor, identified as Nisar, working at the Lyari hospital was shot dead today in a busy market.
Earlier during the day, a firing incident in the Memon Goth area of Malir in the city left two people injured, who later succumbed to their injuries. Two other people also lost their lives to target killings today.
The violence in the city has claimed at least 90 lives in the past week.
In an incident that left three people injured, Shia Muslim mourners at a funeral clashed with the participants of a rally taken out by Sunni Muslims.
Police said that the clash occurred when a rally entered into Karachi from the super highway.
"Near Ancholi (a Shia dominated populace) mourners who were taking the funeral clashed with the rally participants and there was an exchange of fire which left three people injured," a police official said.
The Shia mourners were taking the body of Mukhtar Ahmed who was killed in the city to a graveyard on the super highway for burial.
"The groups exchanged fire with each other, leaving three people injured. Additional forces of police and the rangers were then sent in to control the situation," another police official said.
An angry mob destroyed a camp at Water Pump chowrangi, near Ancholi, set up to welcome the rally participants. Two funeral buses were also set on fire after the incident.
In many target killings in the city in the past week the victims have been from the Shia faith.
In a gory incident two days back in block-2 of
Gulshan-e-Iqbal armed gunmen gunned down seven students of a religious seminary belonging to a different sect.
Violence in the city has taken 10 lives within the last 24 hours.
Inspector General (IG) Sindh Fayyaz Leghari has reportedly issued show cause notices to Deputy Inspector General(s) of three zones of Karachi due to their failure to maintain peace in their areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'