9,000 Marines to Helmand after Obama speech: Report
Washington: The US military will deploy up to 9,000 Marines to Afghanistan`s Helmand province -- doubling US presence there -- in the days after President Barack Obama`s war strategy announcement this week, the Washington Post said on Saturday.
Citing senior US officials, the daily said the extra Marines won`t move to the restive southern province until after Obama`s address to the nation Tuesday from the prestigious West Point military academy in New York state.
The aim is to regain a footing in the region that has been a base for a fierce Taliban insurgency in recent months.
Some 1,000 Army trainers will follow the Marine`s deployment, perhaps by February next year, the Post said.
"The first troops out of the door are going to be Marines," General James Conway, the top Marine officer, was quoted as telling soldiers in Afghanistan on Saturday.
"We`ve been leaning forward in anticipation of a decision. And we`ve got some pretty stiff fighting coming," he said, according to the Post.
Obama has been weighing requests from his Afghan war commander, General Stanley McChrystal, to send up to 40,000 more troops to join 68,000 US troops already in Afghanistan.
Last week, the President, accused of dithering on his decision, said he would make it clear "the Afghan people ultimately are going to have to provide for their own security," and would call on allies in Europe and beyond to help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway