97 held in Karachi during police crackdown
Islamabad: Pakistan police have arrested 97 suspected criminals, some of them accused of murder, kidnapping and robberies, and terrorists in the port city of Karachi since Wednesday, an official statement said on Thursday.
The arrests were made as police conducted 73 separate raids in different areas of the city for the suspects, Xinhua reported.
Police had to face resistance at a number of places when alleged criminals opened fire at the police during the raid but no one was injured, it said.
Police also recovered 26 weapons of different calibres from the arrested people.
Over 3,000 suspects have been arrested so far in the ongoing targeted operation launched on September 06 in the violence-hit Karachi against terrorists, target killers, kidnappers and extortionists, media reports said.
Rangers and police also recovered heavy cache of weapons including automatic guns, pistols, hand grenades and homemade bombs from the detained people.
A special Cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif approved the targeted operation to deal with the deteriorating situation in the business hub of the country.
Over 2,000 people were killed in different kinds of attacks in the city of over 20 million population during the first eight months of the current year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM