A `barat` of 100 Taliban behind mass jailbreak in Pakistan
Peshawar: A "barat" of over 100 Taliban militants, using decorated vehicles, carried out the surprise assault on sleepy guards at Pakistan`s third largest jail in the restive northwest region to walk away with 250 prisoners, including top commanders of the outlawed outfit.
"They came like a `barat` (marriage procession), using decorated vehicles and nobody could judge whether they are going to bring a bride from the city or launch attack," said local police official Muhammad Nawaz Khan.
The midnight attack on Monday at central jail in Dera Ismail Khan in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province killed 14 people and injured 17 others, he said.
Khan said the guards were easily overwhelmed by the attackers who were surprised and outnumbered by the militants.
"Six policemen, four prisoners, three civilians and one militant were killed in the gun battle," he said.
He said 248 prisoners escaped after the jailbreak, including some 15 top militants.
He said Taliban sent over 100 fighters armed with assault rifles and hand grenades and having support of eight suicide bombers.
An official of the prison admitted the fact that the Taliban militants were well equipped and trained to repulse any countermove of the security guards of the jail and as such they had completely overwhelmed by them.
Ismail Khan an official of the prison told a news agency that the attack was so severe that "we could not find time to respond to it effectively" adding that "we had guns but in limited quantity whereas the attackers had rocket launchers, hand grenades and other explosive materials to respond to our move."
Ismail Khan said he was present in inner part of the jail at the time of attack and "I had no idea how to escape and saved my life while crawling on sandy ground".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015