`A convicted person is representing 180 mn Pakistanis`
Islamabad: While hearing the petitions filed against the National Assembly Speaker`s ruling in the contempt case against Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry said that a "convicted person is representing a population of 180 million people".
"A prime minister does not only represent a party, but is also a country`s representative," The Express Tribune quoted Justice Chaudhry, as saying.
Justice Chaudhry said the steps taken by NA Speaker Dr Fehmida Mirza regarding the function of the parliament could be reviewed.
Attorney General Irfan Qadir submitted a reply before the judicial bench on behalf of Mirza.
Gilani`s counsel, Aitzaz Ahsan, argued that the petitions could not be heard as the speaker had already given her statement on the issue, adding that Gilani did not receive a sentence which disqualified him.
Justice Chaudhry said the petitions maintained that Gilani was disqualified after the Supreme Court`s verdict in a contempt case against him was announced.
The petitions, including those filed by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI), had challenged the speaker`s ruling and demanded Gilani`s disqualification after he was convicted of contempt by the apex court.
- Check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in for Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016
- Rahul Gandhi as UP CM? Twitteratis had a blast
- VVIP chopper deal: After CBI, SP Tyagi to be questioned by Enforcement Directorate
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016, NBSE 12th Class Result 2016 announced; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in
- WATCH: Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Gautam Gambhir kicks a chair to celebrate team's win over Royal Challengers Bangalore