Abdul Hamid appointed acting B’desh Prez
Dhaka: Bangladesh has appointed parliamentary speaker Abdul Hamid as the acting president of the country as incumbent Zillur Rahman undergoes treatment abroad for illness.
"Speaker Advocate Abdul Hamid will discharge the function of President Zillur Rahman in accordance with article 54 of the Constitution until he (Rahman) resumes his office after treatment," the state-run BSS news agency reported quoting Cabinet Secretary M Musharraf Hossain Bhuiyan as saying tonight.
The comments by the country`s top bureaucrat came four days after octogenarian Rahman was flown to Singapore in an air ambulance for treatment.
Presidential officials meanwhile said 84-year-old Rahman was gradually recovering as he was being treated for severe respiratory problem.
"He is suffering from severe lung infection. Doctors started removing water from his lung as his condition stabilised a little and he is being given oxygen," his son Nazmul Hassan Papan earlier said on phone.
Earlier, Rahman had been admitted to hospital in Dhaka on Saturday as he complained of respiratory complications was later sent abroad.
Under Bangladesh`s constitution, the president is the titular or ceremonial head of state but the presidency assumes importance with the general elections, which are due next year.
Rahman, a veteran politician was installed as President in 2009 after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s Awami League won power in the landmark December 2008 general elections.
A lawyer by profession, Rahman was a close aide of Hasina`s father and Bangladesh`s founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and is regarded as a key figure in consolidating the Awami League`s unity at different times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof