Accelerate work on Neelum-Jhelum project: Nawaz Sharif
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday directed authorities to expedite work on the Rs 274.88-billion Neelum-Jhelum hydropower project in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and make it functional by 2014-15. The project will help to overcome the country`s energy crisis.
During a visit to the site of the project, Sharif told reporters that the authorities had sought time till 2016 to complete the project but he had declined and instead directed them to finish it by 2014-15.
He said it was regrettable that such projects had not been given due attention because of vested interests but such a culture would have to be changed. The Neelum-Jhelum project could not be completed over the past few years and its cost had increased to around Rs 275 billion, he said.
"Twenty-nine years have passed but the project is yet to be completed," he said, adding nobody had questioned the gross negligence behind the delay.
"If such projects were given priority in the past, they could have been completed. We are fully committed to complete such projects," he said.
Referring to the energy crisis, Sharif said the government is devising an energy policy that might be finalized within a fortnight.
He said he was optimistic that the government and the people could together resolve the problem. Responding to a query, he said terrorism was also being tackled seriously. "The main issues are the lack of economic growth and rising poverty, which gave rise to (terrorism)," he said.
Referring to the proposal for building a Khunjrab-Gwadar-Karachi road and rail link, he expressed his resolve to take up the project soon as it would be a "game changer" for the country.
On June 24, a team will go to China for consultations on the project with other stakeholders, he said.
Syed Raghib Abbas Shah, chairman of the Water and Power Development Authority and the Neelum-Jhelum company chief briefed the premier on the project. The power house of the project is located at Chattar Kalass, 22 km south of PoK capital Muzaffarabad.
The installed capacity of the project is 969 MW. The original cost of the project was Rs 130 billion but it later escalated to Rs 274.882 billion due to a change in design and requirement of machinery after the earthquake of 2005. China`s Gezhouba Group Corporation is constructing the 62-km tunnel and a workforce of about 5,000 is involved in the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India