Actress Meera to contest against Imran Khan in Pak election
Lahore: Film actress Meera, who has appeared in two Indian movies, is expected to contest against cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan during Pakistan`s upcoming general election on May 11.
Meera`s mother Shafqat Zohra told reporters today that her daughter may contest against Khan, the head of the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party, from a parliamentary seat in Lahore that includes the posh areas of Gulberg, Model Town, Garden Town and Faisal Town.
"Meera has applied for a PML-N ticket for National Assembly seat 126. If the leadership obliges her, then there will be an interesting contest between the two celebrities," Zohra said.
Earlier, Meera had shown interest in acquiring a PML-N ticket for a seat reserved for women.
There has been pressure on Khan from workers of his party to contest against PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif.
Sharif is expected to contest from a seat in his hometown and Khan apparently decided not to take any chances in the PML-N leader`s stronghold.
"Imran Khan has a following in National Assembly seat 126 and therefore he has decided to contest from there," a Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site