Address me by my name: Former Nepal king
Kathmandu: Nepal`s last monarch Gyanendra Shah has asked people to address him by his name, saying that he is very much a "commoner" like them.
"Call me Gyanendra Shah. It makes me happy that way as I am already a commoner," he told yesterday after inaugurating an NGO named after his daughter-in-law and former Crown Princess Himani Shah.
The former king said that he wants to meet people and serve them. He also expressed concern on the deteriorating situation in the country and the suffering of the people due to economic crisis.
Gyanendra vacated the royal palace after the 601- member Constituent Assembly abolished monarchy in 2008. The `Himani Trust` has been established to work in five different areas: health, education, social development, employment generation and helping aged and children.
It will provide free health check up facilities to deprived women, children and aged, scholarship to the poor and backward communities and work in areas like biodiversity, drinking water, hydro-electricity, Himani said.
When asked about a career in politics, the former crown princess said that she has not thought about joining politics.
The Trust has seven female members and all are from the former royal Nepalese family. It has started working in some villages in Dolakha district situated in the east of Kathmandu, she said.
"We want to make model villages and serve the poor by constructing school buildings and health posts," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning