Afghan Ambassador to head UN panel on Security Council reform
New York: Afghanistan`s top diplomat to the UN has been appointed to head a key United Nations panel on Security Council reform.
A letter in this regard was sent yesterday by the President of 64th UN General Assembly, Ali Abdessalam Treki, to Afghan Ambassador to UN, Zahir Tanin, a journalist-turned diplomat.
According to the letter, Tanin has been reappointed as Chairman of the ongoing intergovernmental negotiations on Security Council reform.
Tanin had also chaired intergovernmental negotiations process since it began last February, as mandated by a decision of the General Assembly.
Since then he has overseen three rounds of negotiations. The first round included five exchanges, one on each of the five key issues: categories of membership, the question of the veto, regional representation, size of an enlarged Security Council and working methods of the Council and the relationship between the Council and the General Assembly.
The second round included three exchanges: the first on the concept of review or challenge, the second on the composition of the Council, and the third on voting procedures and working methods of the Council. Finally, the third round included three exchanges; the first on all five key issues together, the second on the model including expansion in both categories of membership (permanent and non-permanent) and the third on the "intermediate model”.
In September, the General Assembly took a unanimous decision to continue the intergovernmental negotiations during the 64th General Assembly.
Reappointment of Tanin ensures that the process will have continuity and will retain the spirit of transparency and openness that categorised its first year.
Tanin said he will continue negotiations with an aim to finding a solution on the reform of the Security Council that can garner the widest possible political agreement from member states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?