Afghan Ambassador to head UN panel on Security Council reform
New York: Afghanistan`s top diplomat to the UN has been appointed to head a key United Nations panel on Security Council reform.
A letter in this regard was sent yesterday by the President of 64th UN General Assembly, Ali Abdessalam Treki, to Afghan Ambassador to UN, Zahir Tanin, a journalist-turned diplomat.
According to the letter, Tanin has been reappointed as Chairman of the ongoing intergovernmental negotiations on Security Council reform.
Tanin had also chaired intergovernmental negotiations process since it began last February, as mandated by a decision of the General Assembly.
Since then he has overseen three rounds of negotiations. The first round included five exchanges, one on each of the five key issues: categories of membership, the question of the veto, regional representation, size of an enlarged Security Council and working methods of the Council and the relationship between the Council and the General Assembly.
The second round included three exchanges: the first on the concept of review or challenge, the second on the composition of the Council, and the third on voting procedures and working methods of the Council. Finally, the third round included three exchanges; the first on all five key issues together, the second on the model including expansion in both categories of membership (permanent and non-permanent) and the third on the "intermediate model”.
In September, the General Assembly took a unanimous decision to continue the intergovernmental negotiations during the 64th General Assembly.
Reappointment of Tanin ensures that the process will have continuity and will retain the spirit of transparency and openness that categorised its first year.
Tanin said he will continue negotiations with an aim to finding a solution on the reform of the Security Council that can garner the widest possible political agreement from member states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?