Afghan authorities seize 23 tons heroin, morphine
Kabul: Afghan officials say counter-narcotics teams have seized roughly 23 tons of heroin and morphine and other chemicals in a helicopter raid.
They say the bust yesterday is the largest so far this year. Raid commander General Abdul Khalil Bahktyar said in a news conference today that helicopter-borne commandos raided a facility in the Sherzad district of Nangarhar province east of Kabul.
They seized drugs and large quantities of chemicals such as ammonium chloride, which are used in the manufacture of illicit narcotics.
Bahktyar says the massive haul was the latest in a series of 210 raids so far this year in which his commandos have arrested more than 190 suspects. He said the drugs were destroyed at the scene and six drug labs dismantled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000