Afghan authorities seize 23 tons heroin, morphine
Kabul: Afghan officials say counter-narcotics teams have seized roughly 23 tons of heroin and morphine and other chemicals in a helicopter raid.
They say the bust yesterday is the largest so far this year. Raid commander General Abdul Khalil Bahktyar said in a news conference today that helicopter-borne commandos raided a facility in the Sherzad district of Nangarhar province east of Kabul.
They seized drugs and large quantities of chemicals such as ammonium chloride, which are used in the manufacture of illicit narcotics.
Bahktyar says the massive haul was the latest in a series of 210 raids so far this year in which his commandos have arrested more than 190 suspects. He said the drugs were destroyed at the scene and six drug labs dismantled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok