Afghan authorities seize 23 tons heroin, morphine
Kabul: Afghan officials say counter-narcotics teams have seized roughly 23 tons of heroin and morphine and other chemicals in a helicopter raid.
They say the bust yesterday is the largest so far this year. Raid commander General Abdul Khalil Bahktyar said in a news conference today that helicopter-borne commandos raided a facility in the Sherzad district of Nangarhar province east of Kabul.
They seized drugs and large quantities of chemicals such as ammonium chloride, which are used in the manufacture of illicit narcotics.
Bahktyar says the massive haul was the latest in a series of 210 raids so far this year in which his commandos have arrested more than 190 suspects. He said the drugs were destroyed at the scene and six drug labs dismantled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued