Afghan avalanche kills 30, injures 70: Ministry
Kabul: An avalanche triggered by heavy
snow killed up to 30 people and left another 70 injured in the
treacherous mountains of northern Afghanistan, the defence
Snow buried cars in Salang, a mountain pass
connecting Kabul to the north of the country, said a statement
from the ministry.
"Since Monday afternoon until now around 1,500 people
who were stranded by the avalanche have been rescued," the
"Around 70 people are injured, and 30 others have
been martyred." But the public health ministry put the death
toll at 15. Ten people died when an avalanche hit their bus
and pushed it hundreds of metres (yards) into the pass, it
"Five others died when their car was buried by the
falling snow," ministry spokesman Ahmad Farid Rahid said to a news agency.
Another 65 people were injured, he said, adding
that most had been evacuated to the nearby Chaharikar city
Acting public works minister Sohrab Ali Safari was
in Salang to oversee the reopening of the southern end of the
pass, which had been blocked by the avalanche, a ministry
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife