Afghan coal mine explosion kills eleven: Official
Kabul: An explosion at a coal mine in
northern Afghanistan has killed 11 people, an official said
The miners, who were all working at the site without
government permission, died after an explosion triggered a
collapse at the mine in Baghlan province yesterday night, said
the provincial governor`s spokesman Mahmood Haqmal.
"Late on Friday a number of local people were digging at
a coal mine in the Chenarak area of Nehrin district when an
explosion killed 11 workers," he said.
Police are at the scene working to recover the bodies.
Conditions in Afghan coal mines can be dangerously
primitive, with miners working by hand and little in the way
of ventilation, equipment or safety gear.
Afghanistan is believed to have mineral reserves worth as
much as USD 3 trillion which could theoretically generate
billions of dollars in tax revenue for the troubled country.
But exploitation of these resources faces massive hurdles
due to ongoing instability after 30 years of war in the
country, woeful infrastructure, and endemic corruption.
Nevertheless, mining lots are being quickly parcelled out
among Afghanistan`s resource-hungry neighbours, and according
to mining ministry documents the country is planning to sell
extraction rights for up to five mines every year until the
departure of the last foreign combat troops in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark