Afghan coal mine explosion kills eleven: Official
Kabul: An explosion at a coal mine in
northern Afghanistan has killed 11 people, an official said
The miners, who were all working at the site without
government permission, died after an explosion triggered a
collapse at the mine in Baghlan province yesterday night, said
the provincial governor`s spokesman Mahmood Haqmal.
"Late on Friday a number of local people were digging at
a coal mine in the Chenarak area of Nehrin district when an
explosion killed 11 workers," he said.
Police are at the scene working to recover the bodies.
Conditions in Afghan coal mines can be dangerously
primitive, with miners working by hand and little in the way
of ventilation, equipment or safety gear.
Afghanistan is believed to have mineral reserves worth as
much as USD 3 trillion which could theoretically generate
billions of dollars in tax revenue for the troubled country.
But exploitation of these resources faces massive hurdles
due to ongoing instability after 30 years of war in the
country, woeful infrastructure, and endemic corruption.
Nevertheless, mining lots are being quickly parcelled out
among Afghanistan`s resource-hungry neighbours, and according
to mining ministry documents the country is planning to sell
extraction rights for up to five mines every year until the
departure of the last foreign combat troops in 2014.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India