Afghan diplomat shot at in Pakistan
Islamabad: An Afghan diplomat was injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire at him in the Pakistani capital on Friday, officials said.
Naqeebullah Ibrahimkhel, a third Secretary in the Afghan Embassy, was wounded when the men fired at him while he was returning from a market in Sector F-10 of Islamabad, Afghan Embassy spokesman Shams Zardasht said.
He was hit by a bullet in the leg. Ibrahimkhel, in-charge of education and student affairs at the Afghan Embassy, was taken to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences for treatment.
Doctors described his condition as stable.
"We are not aware of the motives behind the incident and we demand that the Pakistani government should investigate it," Zardasht said.
The armed men robbed Ibrahimkhel of his cell phone and money and tried to drag him into their car, he said.
The spokesman further said unidentified gunmen had tried to kidnap Ibrahimkhel when he went to a market in Sector F-10 late on Wednesday.
Afghan Ambassador Umer Daudzai said: "We demand the government of Pakistan should ensure the security of all Afghan diplomats and embassy staffers to prevent such incidents in future."
Police officials claimed Ibrahimkhel was the victim of an attempted robbery.
Shalimar police station chief Sajjad Bukhari said the unidentified men fired at Ibrahimkhel when he resisted their attempt to rob him.
Bukhari said police had obtained footage of some suspects from CCTV cameras and were hoping the injured diplomat would identify the men who attacked him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon