Afghan Election Commission chiefs step down
Kabul: The head of Afghanistan`s Independent
Election Commission and his number two have stepped down, the
government said today, amid international pressure following
last year`s fraud-tainted vote.
"The tenure of the President of the election commission,
Dr Azizullah Ludin, has come to an end," President Hamid
Karzai`s spokesman Waheed Omer told a news conference in
"Yesterday (Tuesday) he told the president that he did
not want to continue in the position any more. It was accepted
by the President.
"(Chief electoral officer) Daoud Ali Najafi also
resigned. His resignation was accepted and a new figure will
be appointed," the spokesman said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan