Afghan Election Commission chiefs step down
Kabul: The head of Afghanistan`s Independent
Election Commission and his number two have stepped down, the
government said today, amid international pressure following
last year`s fraud-tainted vote.
"The tenure of the President of the election commission,
Dr Azizullah Ludin, has come to an end," President Hamid
Karzai`s spokesman Waheed Omer told a news conference in
"Yesterday (Tuesday) he told the president that he did
not want to continue in the position any more. It was accepted
by the President.
"(Chief electoral officer) Daoud Ali Najafi also
resigned. His resignation was accepted and a new figure will
be appointed," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray