Afghan ex-minister escapes assassination attempt
Kabul: An influential former Afghan warlord who served as water and energy minister in a previous administration narrowly escaped an assassination attempt on Friday in the country`s western Herat province, a police spokesman said.
Ismail Khan, who is also running as vice president for one of the candidates in the April 5 presidential election, was attacked after mid-day prayers, said police spokesman Abdul Raouf Ahmadi.
Khan was coming out of the mosque in Herat city, the provincial capital, when the bomber set off his explosives. No one except the would-be suicide bomber was killed in the explosion, said Ahmadi. Khan could not be reached for comment.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which underscored some of the challenges Afghanistan faces ahead of the election, a vote that will help shape the country`s future following the departure of foreign combat troops.
In 2010, President Hamid Karzai had wanted to keep Khan - a Tajik who was a prominent warlord during the civil war of the 1990s and who retains considerable local power among his minority - in his administration, but the nomination was narrowly defeated. Critics said keeping Khan would have proven Karzai remained beholden to regional power brokers at the expense of the country`s national interests.
Khan, 67, is now running as VP on the ticket of presidential contender, Abdul Rab Rasoul Sayyaf, also a former warlord. Karzai can`t run for a third consecutive term and has not yet endorsed anyone. There are no clear favorites in the race.
Both Sayyaf and Khan were known as warlords during Afghanistan`s civil war from 1992 until the Taliban takeover in 1996, fighting on the side of the Northern Alliance against the Taliban.
Previously, both also actively participated in the war against the Soviet occupation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre