Afghan forces foil New Year bomb plot: Official
Kabul: Afghan security forces have foiled a
new year bomb plot with the discovery of nine tonnes of
explosives hidden under bananas in the back of a lorry,
Afghanistan`s spy agency said on Sunday.
The explosives were found in a truck from neighbouring
Pakistan which had entered the eastern province of Nangarhar,
spy agency spokesman Lutfullah Mashal told a press conference.
The attack was planned for Afghan new year celebrations on
Tuesday in either Kabul or Nangarhar, he said. The find was
made in early March.
"Nine tonnes of explosives were hidden under a banana
consignment in a lorry. The owner of the truck has fled back
to Pakistan, but his Afghan driver was arrested by the Afghan
security forces," Mashal said.
Celebrations marking the beginning of spring and the
Afghan new year, known as Nawruz, were banned under Taliban
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...