Afghan forces foil New Year bomb plot: Official
Kabul: Afghan security forces have foiled a
new year bomb plot with the discovery of nine tonnes of
explosives hidden under bananas in the back of a lorry,
Afghanistan`s spy agency said on Sunday.
The explosives were found in a truck from neighbouring
Pakistan which had entered the eastern province of Nangarhar,
spy agency spokesman Lutfullah Mashal told a press conference.
The attack was planned for Afghan new year celebrations on
Tuesday in either Kabul or Nangarhar, he said. The find was
made in early March.
"Nine tonnes of explosives were hidden under a banana
consignment in a lorry. The owner of the truck has fled back
to Pakistan, but his Afghan driver was arrested by the Afghan
security forces," Mashal said.
Celebrations marking the beginning of spring and the
Afghan new year, known as Nawruz, were banned under Taliban
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love