Afghan forces kill 8 Talibans including commander
Faizabad: Afghan security forces raided a Taliban hideout in Badakhshan province 315 km northeast of capital Kabul killing eight militants, including their commander on Sunday, spokesman for provincial administration Abdul Marouf Rasikh said.
"The security forces stormed a Taliban hideout in Akhal village of Argo district early Sunday morning killing eight rebels including their commander Mawlawi Saifudin on the spot," Rasikh told Xinhua.
With the elimination of Mawlawi Saifudin and his group, the security will be further improved in Argo district and adjoining areas, he added without giving more details.
Meantime, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in a statement released here confirmed the operation in Badakhshan province, saying Afghan and coalition security forces conducted an operation to detain an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) militant in Argo district, Badakhshan province, on Sunday.
"During the operation, the security force was attacked by two groups of insurgents. The security force returned fire and requested a precision airstrike. After the airstrike, the Afghan and coalition security force conducted a follow-on assessment of the area and determined no civilians had been harmed and multiple insurgents had been killed," the ISAF statement stated.
Taliban militants fighting Afghan and NATO-led forces have yet to make comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves