Afghan forces kill 8 Talibans including commander
Faizabad: Afghan security forces raided a Taliban hideout in Badakhshan province 315 km northeast of capital Kabul killing eight militants, including their commander on Sunday, spokesman for provincial administration Abdul Marouf Rasikh said.
"The security forces stormed a Taliban hideout in Akhal village of Argo district early Sunday morning killing eight rebels including their commander Mawlawi Saifudin on the spot," Rasikh told Xinhua.
With the elimination of Mawlawi Saifudin and his group, the security will be further improved in Argo district and adjoining areas, he added without giving more details.
Meantime, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in a statement released here confirmed the operation in Badakhshan province, saying Afghan and coalition security forces conducted an operation to detain an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) militant in Argo district, Badakhshan province, on Sunday.
"During the operation, the security force was attacked by two groups of insurgents. The security force returned fire and requested a precision airstrike. After the airstrike, the Afghan and coalition security force conducted a follow-on assessment of the area and determined no civilians had been harmed and multiple insurgents had been killed," the ISAF statement stated.
Taliban militants fighting Afghan and NATO-led forces have yet to make comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February