`Afghan forces to be equipped with drone capabilities`
Washington: Afghan forces would be equipped with drone capabilities to keep a watch on the tough terrain along its eastern border with Pakistan, a top American General has told lawmakers.
"The Afghans do not have that capability yet. It`s one of the enablers that we are trying to build into them before we leave," Gen James Mattis, the commander of US Central Command, told members of the powerful House Armed Services Committee.
"The long-term view is that we will continue this so long as we are there, and we will transition this capability, standing it up inside the Afghan forces so when we leave, they have the ability to keep an eye on that border area," he said.
Referring to the difficult terrain along the Af-Pak border, the General said, "I`ve operated in many areas around the world, and I`ve never had more difficult military terrain to operate in than along that border."
Mattis was responding to questions from Congressman Ron Barber, who expressed concern about the ability of US and its allies to target terrorists, such as the Haqqani network, along the Afghanistan and Pakistani border.
Barber asked if there is a long-term plan for American unmanned reconnaissance after the planned drawdown of American troops and what capacities does the Afghan national security force have for unmanned aerial platforms to target terrorists` networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan