Afghan governor escapes bomb attack, 4 guards killed
Kabul: The governor of the northern Afghan province of Badakhshan on Tuesday escaped a bomb attack, which killed four of his bodyguards, said a provincial government spokesman.
"The bombing took place in Khairabad area of the Baharak district during daytime when Governor Mohammad Nazir`s motorcade was passing by the area," Xinhua quoted the spokesman as saying.
The bodies of the guards killed in the attack were shifted to a hospital in provincial capital Faizabad, 315 km northeast of national capital Kabul.
Recently, Afghan officials and pro-government figures have been repeatedly targeted by Taliban insurgents. Up to 312 civilians were killed and 131 were wounded in targeted killings across the country in the first half of the year, official sources confirmed.
An Army division was dispatched to the province to help strengthen security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company