Afghan governor escapes Helmand ambush
Kandhar: The governor of Afghanistan`s
troubled Helmand province on Tuesday escaped unharmed from an
insurgent ambush and gun battle that left two attackers dead,
his office said.
Mohammad Gulab Mangal was returning to Lashkar Gah,
capital of the southern province, after an official visit to
Sangin, a pocket of some of the worst fighting in Afghanistan,
when his motorcade came under fire from insurgents.
"The security forces returned fire and killed two of
the armed attackers. Their bodies were left on the ground," a
statement from his office said.
Pictures released with the statement showed at least
four bullet holes in Mangal`s armoured vehicle.
Helmand is one of Afghanistan`s most dangerous
provinces and a major focus for US-led NATO operations in the
Mangal has survived numerous previous attempts on his
The attack came on the same day that the deputy chief
of Afghanistan`s spy agency, Ahmad Zia, escaped an apparent
attempt on his life in Kabul when guards shot and killed a man
who tried to ram a bomb-laden car into his motorcade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?