Afghan governor survives assassination attempt
Asadabad: The governor of a
restive province in north-eastern Afghanistan said he survived
a "fierce" attack today on the convoy he was travelling in.
Fazlullah Wahedi, governor of Kunar province on the
border with Pakistan, said the attackers launched a
rocket-propelled grenade at his car, in the latest in a string
of militant attacks targeting government officials.
No one was hurt in the incident on the road from the
provincial capital Asadabad to a neighbouring district.
The Taliban claimed responsibility.
"It was a fierce attack. One rocket landed very close
to my vehicle, but no one was hurt," Wahedi told AFP.
Kunar has witnessed an increase in violence in recent
months and a spate of civilian casualties in NATO operations
there has angered local people.
NATO is investigating claims by local officials that
two children died in an air strike by foreign forces earlier
The incident took place close to where nine other
people, who local officials said were children collecting
firewood, were killed in an earlier NATO raid.
A spokesman for the Taliban told AFP it was
responsible for today`s attack, which came just weeks after
gunmen shot dead a district governor in eastern Afghanistan.
Ousted from power in late 2001 in a US-led invasion,
the Taliban lately have ramped up an assassination campaign
against officials, their relatives or anyone linked to the
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- IPL 2016: Usman Khawaja comes in for injured Faf du Plessis for Rising Pune Sunrisers
- Tragic! Girl cracks IIT-JEE but kills herself as she didn’t want to be engineer
- Roger Federer signs up for Madrid Masters
- Cash is not always king: FIFA chief Gianni Infantino hails Leicester `fairytale`
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo