Afghan insurgents kill 5 in attack on checkpoint
Kabul: Afghan police say Taliban insurgents killed two officers and three civilians in an attack on Monday on a checkpoint in the western part of the country.
Police Lt Sher Agha Alokozai says four insurgents were also killed in the gunbattle early today in Herat province`s Obey district.
He says the three civilians were farmers killed by insurgents who were firing while they fled through their fields.
Attacks against the army and police have intensified in recent months after the US-led international coalition handed over responsibility for security to Afghan forces.
Foreign forces have been steadily withdrawing from Afghanistan and all combat troops are expected to be gone by the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand