Afghan insurgents kill 5 in attack on checkpoint
Kabul: Afghan police say Taliban insurgents killed two officers and three civilians in an attack on Monday on a checkpoint in the western part of the country.
Police Lt Sher Agha Alokozai says four insurgents were also killed in the gunbattle early today in Herat province`s Obey district.
He says the three civilians were farmers killed by insurgents who were firing while they fled through their fields.
Attacks against the army and police have intensified in recent months after the US-led international coalition handed over responsibility for security to Afghan forces.
Foreign forces have been steadily withdrawing from Afghanistan and all combat troops are expected to be gone by the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security