Afghan intelligence denies torture on prisoners
Kabul: Afghanistan`s top intelligence agency on Tuesday dismissed as "baseless" the findings by an independent human rights commission which alleged cases of abuses and torturing of prisoners in detention centers in the country.
Afghanistan`s Human Rights Commission yesterday said that
torture in Afghan prisons is more widespread than previously
thought and alleged that detainees arrested by US troops have
been tortured after being transferred to Afghan custody.
"We strongly reject this report and its allegations are
baseless," said a statement released by the National
Directorate of Security (NDS) or Afghan intelligence service.
"Our studies and information show that the findings by
the AHRC are not correct and we can proof that they are
baseless allegations," the statement said.
The AHRC report said their findings shows that there are
evidence that abuse including beating of prisoners and cases
of electric shocks in one of the 16 prisons of intelligence
service in southern province of Kandahar.
"Our investigators gathered information of at least 10
credible allegations of abuse in Kandahar prison belonging to
NDS in January 2012," the AHRC report said.
The National Directorate of Security, however, said that
most of the allegations are not from the trusted sources but
mostly the finding are based on the interviews carried out
from the different unknown sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...