Afghan jailed for 16 years for spying for Iran
Herat: An Afghan man found in possession of
photographs of NATO bases in Afghanistan has been jailed for
16 years for spying for neighbouring Iran, officials said
The 23-year-old man, named only as Mahmmood, had Iranian
intelligence officials` phone numbers in his notebook and
pictures of foreign and Afghan military installations in western Herat province, an official said.
Afghan intelligence had been able to listen to
conversations between him and Iranian intelligence over the
border, the official said.
Mahmood was arrested while taking photographs of a
government weapons depot, local media reported.
"We found you guilty of betrayal and treason to the
people, national sovereignty, independence, internal security
and covert activities against the government of Afghanistan,"
judge Serajuddin Naser told Mahmood in Herat city court
Mahmood, who is originally from Herat but has lived most
of his life in Iran, had pleaded not guilty and continued to
protest his innocence after being sentenced to 16 years in
NATO`s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in
Afghanistan has accused Iran of providing equipment and
support to Afghan militants waging an insurgency against the
Afghan government and US-led international troops.
But Iran has rejected this, with a foreign ministry
spokesman describing the allegations last year as "baseless
Iran is sometimes seen as hostile to Taliban militants
for religious reasons but analysts suggest it could support
insurgents as a counterweight to arch-enemy the US, which has
nearly 100,000 troops in Afghanistan as part of a 140,000-strong international force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof