Afghan militants attack Pak border post, 2 soldiers injured
Islamabad: Two Pakistani soldiers were injured and four terrorists killed when a group of militants from Afghanistan attacked a border post in the restive tribal belt today.
The militants launched the attack in Alizai sector of Kurram Agency at 5:30 am (0600 IST) and the exchange of fire continued for almost 90 minutes, the military said.
"Terrorists carried out a fire raid from across the border followed by a physical attack on Bhittai post," it said in a statement.
Soldiers at the post repulsed the attack and killed four militants while two soldiers sustained minor injuries in the firefight, the statement said.
Afghanistan and Pakistan blame each other for violence by militants on both sides of their 2,400-km border.
Kabul cancelled a visit to Quetta by a delegation of Afghan National Army officers last month over "unacceptable Pakistani artillery shelling" in parts of Kunar province.
Today`s attack was the latest incident of cross-border violence against a backdrop of worsening relations between the two countries.
Afghanistan last week accused Pakistan of setting back efforts to end the Afghan Taliban insurgency by imposing "impossible" preconditions on negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi