Afghan militants attack Pak border post, 2 soldiers injured
Islamabad: Two Pakistani soldiers were injured and four terrorists killed when a group of militants from Afghanistan attacked a border post in the restive tribal belt today.
The militants launched the attack in Alizai sector of Kurram Agency at 5:30 am (0600 IST) and the exchange of fire continued for almost 90 minutes, the military said.
"Terrorists carried out a fire raid from across the border followed by a physical attack on Bhittai post," it said in a statement.
Soldiers at the post repulsed the attack and killed four militants while two soldiers sustained minor injuries in the firefight, the statement said.
Afghanistan and Pakistan blame each other for violence by militants on both sides of their 2,400-km border.
Kabul cancelled a visit to Quetta by a delegation of Afghan National Army officers last month over "unacceptable Pakistani artillery shelling" in parts of Kunar province.
Today`s attack was the latest incident of cross-border violence against a backdrop of worsening relations between the two countries.
Afghanistan last week accused Pakistan of setting back efforts to end the Afghan Taliban insurgency by imposing "impossible" preconditions on negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II