Afghan militants attack Pak border post, 2 soldiers injured
Islamabad: Two Pakistani soldiers were injured and four terrorists killed when a group of militants from Afghanistan attacked a border post in the restive tribal belt today.
The militants launched the attack in Alizai sector of Kurram Agency at 5:30 am (0600 IST) and the exchange of fire continued for almost 90 minutes, the military said.
"Terrorists carried out a fire raid from across the border followed by a physical attack on Bhittai post," it said in a statement.
Soldiers at the post repulsed the attack and killed four militants while two soldiers sustained minor injuries in the firefight, the statement said.
Afghanistan and Pakistan blame each other for violence by militants on both sides of their 2,400-km border.
Kabul cancelled a visit to Quetta by a delegation of Afghan National Army officers last month over "unacceptable Pakistani artillery shelling" in parts of Kunar province.
Today`s attack was the latest incident of cross-border violence against a backdrop of worsening relations between the two countries.
Afghanistan last week accused Pakistan of setting back efforts to end the Afghan Taliban insurgency by imposing "impossible" preconditions on negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!