Afghan militants attack Pak border post, 2 soldiers injured
Islamabad: Two Pakistani soldiers were injured and four terrorists killed when a group of militants from Afghanistan attacked a border post in the restive tribal belt today.
The militants launched the attack in Alizai sector of Kurram Agency at 5:30 am (0600 IST) and the exchange of fire continued for almost 90 minutes, the military said.
"Terrorists carried out a fire raid from across the border followed by a physical attack on Bhittai post," it said in a statement.
Soldiers at the post repulsed the attack and killed four militants while two soldiers sustained minor injuries in the firefight, the statement said.
Afghanistan and Pakistan blame each other for violence by militants on both sides of their 2,400-km border.
Kabul cancelled a visit to Quetta by a delegation of Afghan National Army officers last month over "unacceptable Pakistani artillery shelling" in parts of Kunar province.
Today`s attack was the latest incident of cross-border violence against a backdrop of worsening relations between the two countries.
Afghanistan last week accused Pakistan of setting back efforts to end the Afghan Taliban insurgency by imposing "impossible" preconditions on negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM