Afghan militants battling Taliban defect to gov`t
Kabul: Two Afghan police officials say
dozens of Islamist militants are defecting to government
forces during armed clashes with their one-time Taliban
Provincial police Chief Kabir Andarabi says more than
100 fighters for the Hezb-e-Islami militia in the northeastern
province of Baghlan pledged to join the government on Sunday after
fighting erupted between them and the Taliban.
The regional police commander, Gen. Ghulam Mushtaba
Patang, put the number of defecting fighters at 50 but said
the situation is in flux and more could defect soon.
Officials say at least 50 militants have been killed
in fierce fighting between the militant factions in an area
around five or six villages in Baghlan. The clashes appear to
be a power struggle over control of the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested