Afghan militants battling Taliban defect to gov`t
Kabul: Two Afghan police officials say
dozens of Islamist militants are defecting to government
forces during armed clashes with their one-time Taliban
Provincial police Chief Kabir Andarabi says more than
100 fighters for the Hezb-e-Islami militia in the northeastern
province of Baghlan pledged to join the government on Sunday after
fighting erupted between them and the Taliban.
The regional police commander, Gen. Ghulam Mushtaba
Patang, put the number of defecting fighters at 50 but said
the situation is in flux and more could defect soon.
Officials say at least 50 militants have been killed
in fierce fighting between the militant factions in an area
around five or six villages in Baghlan. The clashes appear to
be a power struggle over control of the area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview