Afghan military sacks `hundreds` to curb ‘insider attacks`
Kabul: The Afghan military has arrested or sacked hundreds of its own soldiers in a major crackdown to curb the recent shooting attacks on NATO troops.
Afghan Defence Ministry spokesman Major General Zahir Azimi, who announced the crackdown, said it came after Afghan President Hamid Karzai ‘instructed the security forces to put all their efforts and capacities to prevent these attacks’.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Karzai raised the issue on Sunday in a meeting with his security council, instructing top officials to focus on thwarting the attacks.
In recent months, coalition forces have seen a surge in ‘green-on-blue’ killings, in which Afghan soldiers, police or those dressed like them have attacked their foreign partners.
In August, at least 15 coalition troops were killed by their Afghan counterparts, raising concerns that insurgents were deliberately infiltrating Afghan military and police units to sow mistrust and derail cooperation with coalition forces, the report said.
US Army Lt General James Terry, the commander who oversees day-to-day operations, said in a briefing on Wednesday that the US was planning to help the Afghans with their vetting process.
The insider attacks have led to growing tensions between Afghanistan and its foreign allies, the report said.
Green-on-blue attacks have also threatened to imperil a key part of the US exit strategy, which calls for a shift in emphasis to training and advisory missions, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand