Afghan minister survives assassination bid
Kabul: A day after an Afghan lawmaker was killed in a suicide blast, Higher Education Minister Obaidullah Obaid survived an assassination attempt Sunday after a bomb targeted his motorcade in the country`s northern region.
The minister was travelling from Baghlan to Kunduz province when one of the cars in his convoy hit a roadside bomb, the Afghan police said.
The attack injured two of the bodyguards, the police added. "The minister is safe, while two policemen were wounded in the bomb attack."
On Saturday, a suicide bomber blew himself up at a wedding reception in Samangan province, also in the north, killing a top Afghan lawmaker and 22 others.
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards