Afghan MPs from Kandahar against speedy transition
Kabul: Lawmakers from Kandahar on Tuesday said that
Afghan forces are far from ready to assume full security
responsibility in the province that was the birthplace of the
Taliban, stressing it should be among the last regions where
NATO forces hand over control to Afghan counterparts.
Meanwhile, a roadside bomb killed two NATO service members
Tuesday in east Afghanistan, the coalition said, providing no
further details. The deaths three days after a suicide truck
bombing in Kabul killed five service members and eight
civilian contractors raised to 491 the number of NATO troops
killed so far this year in Afghanistan.
Flanked by fellow Kandahar parliamentarians, lawmaker
Khalid Pashtun pointed to a deadly Taliban attack yesterday in
the provincial capital as a clear example of why they need
NATO forces long after Afghan troops assume sole
responsibility in other parts of Afghanistan. In that attack,
five people, including three working for the UN`s refugee
agency, were killed.
The Kandahar legislators fear their province will be on
the second list that President Hamid Karzai is expected to
announce in the coming weeks as regions where security is to
be handed over to Afghan forces.
The concerns come as NATO, which plans to withdraw its
combat forces by 2014, recently shifted its thinking on the
transition process, with an eye on handing over not only
relatively peaceful areas but also some violent regions, where
coalition forces are still in a position to provide backup.
"We have too many security problems in Kandahar," Pashtun
said, adding that since the start of the US-led invasion, the
province has been the epicentre of Afghanistan`s security
woes. "We believe that transition of security should happen.
But considering the ... situation in Kandahar and some other
provinces in the south," it should not be on the second or
even third transition list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon