Afghan officer held over `Taliban plots`: Report
Kabul: An Afghan Army officer has been arrested on accusations of being a member of the Taliban and plotting suicide attacks in Kabul, the country`s intelligence agency said on Saturday.
The officer was named as Gul Mohammad by the National Directorate of Security (NDS), which said he had confessed to the claims.
"The National Directorate of Security arrested Gul Mohammad... who was an officer with the Afghan National Army and was intending to organise suicide and terrorist attacks," said NDS spokesman Lutfullah Mashal.
Mashal told a press conference that the arrested man was "a member of the Taliban group in Kabul city”.
Mohammad is accused of organising attacks on three areas of Kabul where a string of Afghan and international military bases are located, including the heavily-secured headquarters of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and the Defence Ministry.
Infiltration of the Afghan security forces by the Taliban is a serious problem in Afghanistan and has been linked to high-profile attacks including one on a Kabul military hospital in May which killed six medical students.
That was carried out by a suicide bomber in uniform.
The Taliban denied that he was one of their members but are known frequently to distort their claims.
Mashal could not give details on what rank the officer held, while the defence ministry said it had no further details on the arrest.
"I am not aware of the details of who he was or how was he arrested, but a government agency would not lie," said defence spokesman General Zahir Azimi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore