Afghan official gunned down on way to mosque
Kabul: Attackers gunned down a local
government official on his way to a mosque in southern
Afghanistan, authorities said on Thursday, in the latest hit on a
Hundreds of Afghan government officials have been killed
in recent years as the Taliban pursue a sweeping assassination
campaign seeking to weaken confidence in President Hamid
Karzai`s administration and discourage people from joining the
Haji Fazel Mohammad was shot on his way to evening
prayers Wednesday in the volatile district of Sangin in
Helmand province, the governor`s office said. The attackers
Mohammad served on the local council for Sangin, which
has been targeted by frequent insurgent attacks since US and
Afghan forces regained control two years ago. The district, a
one-time Taliban stronghold, acts as a regional transit hub
and is a gateway to a major dam that provides electricity.
Sangin also has one of the highest concentrations of
concealed bombs in Afghanistan. More than 100 British troops
died there during several years of operations.
The Taliban`s assassination campaign has also hit senior
figures. In September, a suicide attacker with a bomb in his
turban killed former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani, who
led a government council seeking a political settlement with
the insurgents. The assassin was posing as a Taliban peace
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security