Afghan official says NATO forces kill 5 civilians
Kabul: A senior Afghan official today said
that NATO forces killed five civilians, including one woman
and two children, during a night raid earlier this week in
A NATO statement said the alliance was aware of a
military operation in Chawkay district of Kunar province on
Monday and was checking into the report.
Sayed Fazelullah Wahidi, governor of Kunar province,
which includes the district, said the raid occurred Monday
night. He said coalition helicopters fired into a compound,
killing two militants and five civilians, including a woman
and two children.
Coalition troops and Afghan special forces have been
carrying out regular nighttime kill-and-capture raids against
suspected insurgents across Afghanistan.
But the operations and allegations of civilian deaths
have provoked anger over foreign meddling in Afghanistan and
whether detention operations will be run by the Afghans or
President Hamid Karzai has demanded that foreign troops
stop entering homes, saying Afghan citizens cannot feel secure
if they think armed soldiers might burst into their houses in
the middle of the night.
In November, Karzai convened a traditional national
assembly known as a Loya Jirga that stopped short of demanding
a complete end to night raids. Instead, it asked that they be
led and controlled by Afghan security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj