Afghan, Pak, US to discuss peace process
Islamabad: The top officials from
Afghanistan, Pakistan and the US will meet here next week to
push for peace and reconciliation process in the region,
Pakistan Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
US Special Representative Marc Grossman, Afghanistan`s
Deputy Foreign Minister Jawid Lodin and Pakistan Foreign
Secretary Salman Bashir, along with the representatives of
Military and Intelligence of the three countries will
participate in the meeting, a Foreign Ministry statement said.
The Core Group has been established to promote the
process of reconciliation and peace in Afghanistan.
Sources said the meeting on August 2 is likely to
discuss the recent tension along the Pakistan-Afghanistan
Pakistani military says that Pakistani militants have
established bases in border regions of Afghanistan and launch
attacks on Pakistani border posts and villages.
Afghan officials say Pakistani forces have fired
hundreds of rockets and artillery shells into Afghanistan and
killed dozens civilians.
The trilateral meeting is taking place at a time when
the US has started phased withdrawal of its troops from
Afghanistan. Several other NATO member countries have also
announced gradual withdrawal of their forces and the process
will be completed by 2014.
NATO forces have already transferred security
responsibility to Afghan forces in five areas.
Meanwhile, Taliban militants have stepped up attacks
on foreign and Afghan forces and government officials in
Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing of
the brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who was shot
dead by his guard in Kandhar this month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know