Afghan Parliament approves Qanooni as vice president
Kabul: The Afghan Wolesi Jirga or lower house of parliament Tuesday approved the name of Mohammad Younus Qanooni as the country`s first vice president to replace Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim who died earlier this month.
"Mohammad Younus Qanooni was unanimously endorsed by the lawmakers as the first vice president this morning," parliament speaker Abdul Raouf Ibrahimi told the session, also attended by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
Before Qanooni became the first vice president, he represented Kabul in the lower house of parliament and had also served as speaker of the lower house, interior minister and education minister in the past 12 years, Xinhua reported.
In his short acceptance speech, Qanooni thanked parliament and President Karzai for entrusting him the new job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read