Afghan Parliament approves Qanooni as vice president
Kabul: The Afghan Wolesi Jirga or lower house of parliament Tuesday approved the name of Mohammad Younus Qanooni as the country`s first vice president to replace Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim who died earlier this month.
"Mohammad Younus Qanooni was unanimously endorsed by the lawmakers as the first vice president this morning," parliament speaker Abdul Raouf Ibrahimi told the session, also attended by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
Before Qanooni became the first vice president, he represented Kabul in the lower house of parliament and had also served as speaker of the lower house, interior minister and education minister in the past 12 years, Xinhua reported.
In his short acceptance speech, Qanooni thanked parliament and President Karzai for entrusting him the new job.
- Kejriwal govt vs Centre: Delhi High Court seeks response from Modi governnment
- Indian Premier League: Here's what original mystery spinner Paul Adams said about Shivil Kaushik!
- 'Deal between PM Modi and Italy to fix Sonia Gandhi': BJP moves privilege motion against Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Nine Taliban militants killed in IED blast in Afghanistan's Badakhshan province
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! When Australian all-rounder James Faulkner turned Gujarati for a day